What kind of Mini-YGDAI card can I install in the LS9? Is there any combination of the cards that cannot be used?
I cannot find a dedicated connector to input audio to the ST IN channel, or to output the talkback microphone. How do I input audio?
Dedicated connectors for ST IN or talkback are not provided on the LS9.
Instead, audio input from the XLR connectors on the rear panel can be flexibly routed to ST IN or talkback by changing input patch.
For ST IN, audio input from the Mini-YGDAI card slot can also be routed.
What kind of operation can be performed with the Cascade Link connection?
'Cascade Link' refers to functionality that uses bi-directional communication to link operations such as cue, scene recall/store, and fader layer selection of cascaded LS9 units.Cascade Link allows two LS9 mixers to be operated as though they were a single mixer.
Operations and parameters that can be linked are as follows:
- Parameters and events related to CUE
- Scene recall/store operation
- DIMMER operation in the MONITOR screen
- Switching the fader layers
- Brightness adjustment of the panel LED and display (MISC SETUP screen)
- Operation of the master mute group
I cannot find a dedicated connector to output audio of the STEREO channel, or to output the monitor signal. How do I output audio?
Connectors dedicated for these functions are not provided on the LS9.
Instead, OMNI OUT connectors are provided.
"OMNI OUT" is a name for the audio output connectors located on the rear panel.
Audio signals from the STEREO, MIX, MATRIX, or MONITOR can be output by assigning them in the output patch
settings. This will help to take out the desired audio signals efficiently.
Even if the number of OMNI OUT connectors is not enough, you can use the Mini-YGDAI card slot or 2TR OUT DIGITAL connector to output audio.
Although I want to insert an analog external device, OMNI OUT cannot be selected for insert out.
Mini-YGDAI card can only be selected as the insert input/output connector. If you want to insert an analog device, install the MY8-ADDA96 card, etc. to the console and connect it with the device.
When adjusting the gain, the sound cuts out at some points.
The internal gain control is designed to switch over every 6 dB, causing a brief interruption output.
Phantom power is not supplied even though the +48V button is on.
In the SYSTEM SETUP screen, make sure the "+48V MASTER ON/OFF" button is "ON".
How can I expand the mic inputs of the LS9?
There are several ways to expand the mic inputs of the LS9:
- Use the MLA8, 8 channel head-amp, in combination with the MY8-AD96 card.
This is the simplest way to expand the mic inputs.
- Use the AD8HR, 8 channel head-amp and AD converter, in combination with the MY16-AE card, etc.
AD8HR amplifies the level of audio signal and performs A/D conversion, and LS9 receives audio in digital format. This system cannot perform remote-control of the gain, etc. because LS9 is not equipped with RS422 connector for remote-controlling. However, this is a useful method if you already have the AD8HR unit.
- Use the SB168-ES stage box in combination with theMY16-ES64 card.
This method, requiring only a single CAT5e cable to connect between the SB168-ES and LS9, dramatically improves the flexibility of the layout. You can also remote-control the head-amp of the SB168-ES from the LS9.
When using the LS9-16/32 in combination with the SB168-ES, what kind of settings are necessary to send/receive audio and remote-control the head-amp?
Are cascade connections possible with LS9?
Yes. LS9 can be cascaded with other LS9 mixers or digital mixers equipped with a slot such as the Yamaha M7CL, PM5D, or 01V96. You can also cascade the LS9 with an analog mixer via an AD/DA card. There is no limit on the number of units that can be cascade-connected. The signal delay will increase depending on the number of units between the cascade master and cascade slave devices.
Is there an easy wayto set up input patching?
With the input patching display open, you can press any [SEL] key to call the patch display for the corresponding channel. Make the required patch settings in the pop-up window, then when you close the pop-up window there's no need re-select the channel. Also, using the Patch Editor in the LS9 Editor allows you to set up input patching while checking the overall input patch settings.
What is the difference between EQ Type I and Type II?
When boosting two adjacent frequency bands, the Type II equalizer produces less interference between bands.
Does the LS9 support multi-speaker surround?
The LS9 has an LCR mode (using L, R and Center buses), but you also use the MIX or MATRIX buses to control other multi-speaker setups. If you need surround panning for recording or post-production applications, however, you might need to consider one of Yamaha's digital production console such as the DM2000, 02R96, or DM1000.
What is the Channel Link function? What is the difference between channel linking and a channel pair of other models?
The faders, EQ, ON/OFF status and other functions of input channels can be linked for simultaneous control. A group of linked channels is known as a "link group", and multiple link groups can be operational at the same time.While Channel Pair is a link operation for the two adjacent channels only, Channel Link can link any desired channels.
You can use the Channel Link function in the same manner as the Channel Pair by assigning the two adjacent channels to the same link group.
Does the LS9 have a VCA group function?
No, there is no VCA group function.
Instead, you can use the Channel Link function. The Channel Link function allows you to link and move faders while preserving level differences.
By moving a fader while holding down the SEL key, you can adjust individual faders without affecting other faders in the same group.
MATRIX channels are not laid out on the master fader layer of LS9-16. How do I do to operate the MATRIX channels?
To operate the MATRIX channels on the LS9, use the following methods:
- Use the Custom Fader Layer
By default, MATRIX channels 1-8 are assigned on the Custom Fader Layer of the LS9-16. You can use this layer to operate the MATRIX channels in the same manner as the channels assigned on other layers.
- Use the SELECTED CHANNEL section
Move the cursor on the channel display in the HOME screen, and select the MATRIX channel using the jog dial.Now you can operate the MATRIX channels in the SELECTED CHANNEL VIEW screen using the knobs on the panel.
LS9 does not have a dedicated knob for controlling the MONITOR LEVEL. Are there any good method to be able to control the MONITOR LEVEL quickly?
To operate the MONITOR level without using the screen operation, use the following methods:
- Use the "MONITOR ON MASTER FADER" function
ON key and fader functions on the STEREO MASTER section can be switched to MONITOR ON/OFF and MONITOR LEVEL adjustment respectively by assigning the "MONITOR ON MASTER FADER" function to a USER DEFINED KEY and turning on the key.
- Use the Custom Fader Layer
MONITOR LEVEL and ON/OFF functions can also be assigned to the Custom Fader Layer.
When I press CUE, why is the cued signal monaural?
To obtain a stereo CUE signal, the POST PAN button of the CUE screen must be on.
However, be aware that with the POST PAN button on, you will no longer be able to use input CUE to monitor the signal being sent to the MONO bus from an input channel that's set to LCR mode.
Can Add-on effects be used?
Functionality for Add-on effects is not provided. However LS9 comes with the equivalent of Add-on effect AE031: REV-X as a standard feature.
Can I copy the settings from channel A of a Flex15 GEQ equalizer from the library to a 31-band GEQ?
The equalizer library settings are saved with the equalizer type, so it is not possible to copy the settings from one type of equalizer to another.
What would happen if I attempt to tweak more than 15 bands on Flex15 GEQ?
The 16th fader to be moved is locked out and will return to the zero line. On the screen the unmoved faders also change color to show they are unavailable for use. Any another fader can be zeroed to release the required fader. There is an "AVAILABLE BANDS" counter on the Flex-15 parameter pop-up.
Can I use the faders to control the internal GEQs?
Yes. You can use the faders on the panel to control the GEQ by selecting the group of bands in the "FADER ASSIGN field" of the GEQ popup window.
Can I copy the settings from one GEQ to another?
Yes. You can copy and paste settings to another graphic or copy settings to a library for future recalling. If you copy the current setting you can then modify it and use the [COMPARE] button to trial the new settings against the old before choosing which to keep. You can copy the setting between 31 GEQ and Flex15 GEQ if less than 15 bands are adjusted.
Is there a de-esser?
Yes. A de-esser is provided on Dynamics 2, and can be used on any input channel.
Which audio formats can be recorded and played from USB memory?
Playback is supported for MP3, WMA, and AAC formats. The playback bit rate can be 64 kbps -- 320 kbps. The sampling rate can be 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz. Recording is supported for MP3 only. The bit rate for recording can be selected as 96 kbps, 128 kbps, or 192 kbps.The sampling rate is automatically set to the LS9's word clock rate (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz).
I copied some MP3 files from my computer to a USB memory. Then I connected it to the LS9, but I can't see the files.
Audio files will only be recognized by the LS9 if they are placed in the SONG folder inside the YPE folder on the USB memory. Song folder is created automatically when a USB memory is connected to the LS9.
How long can I record or play to or from a USB memory using the USB Memory Recorder?
10 minutes of 128 kbps audio data corresponds to about 10 megabytes of memory, so with a 128 MB USB memory you can record or play back for up to approximately 2 hours.
Can I monitor the recorder's playback output while recording?
You cannot record to and playback from a USB memory at the same time.
Can I connect an external hard disk to the USB connector?
No. Only operation of USB memory devices is guaranteed. External hard disks cannot be used.
Is the head amp gain recallable?
Yes, all head amps are recallable (can have their values preset by scene recall) and LS9 can provide remote control of up to four (two in the case of LS9-16) Yamaha AD8HR recallable head amp/AD units as well.
What is a good use for the Recall Safe function?
Use this function to prevent specified parameters from being changed when a scene is recalled. For example, if you have spent a lot of time setting up the head amp gain and EQ for one or more microphone channels, you won't want those settings to be changed if a previously saved scene is recalled. In this case you'd assign Recall Safe status to the gain and EQ parameters.
What is a good use for the Scene Focus function?
This function allows you to specify settings that you want to be recalled with a scene. Unlike Recall Safe, Scene Focus can be specified for each individual scene. You could use this function to set up a scene so that all parameters other than the output settings are recalled.
Which takes priority, Recall Safe or Scene Focus?
Recall Safe takes priority.
A file created offline using the LS9 Editor cannot be loaded in the LS9 console. What would be the cause?
Check the following points:
- Does your file have an extension ".L9A"?
- Although LS9 Editor can save data in the form of .YSE or YSM, you can save/load data in the form of .L9A only on LS9 console. To load your file on LS9 console, save the file in the form of .L9A using LS9 Editor.
- Did you save your file in the form of .L9A through "File" menu > "Save session"?
There are 2 types in .L9A file format. One is a "Session file" that includes all settings data of LS9. The other is a "Library file" that has only a specific library category. Session files can be created through "File"menu >"Save session" on LS9 Editor. Library files can be created on the Library window. If only a part of the library is loaded when you try to load .L9A file on LS9 console, it is possible that the file has been created in the Library file format.
- Is the version of the LS9 Editor that created your file compatible with LS9 console?
- A file saved on newer versions of LS9 Editor cannot be loaded on old console firmware. For details on the combinations that have assured compatibility, please refer to the following page:
Is there scene or library data compatibility between the LS9 and other models?
I want to copy some specific data (such as Scenes, EQ library, or Effect library) created on a LS9 console to another LS9 console. How do I do?
Using LS9 Editor, you can create a library file (L9A file format) that includes only a specific library category, such as EQ library. You can load the library file on LS9 console, or merge the data with an existing session file on LS9 Editor.
What will LS9 do to other kinds of files on my USB device? Can it recognize PM5D files?
LS9 will just ignore them as "unknown" file types. LS9 only recognizes .L9A scene data files, L9U user key files, music data in the form of .MP3, .WMA and .M4A files that USB memory recorder supports, and .PGM files which contain the LS9 firmware.
How do I know when file transfer has finished and it is safe to remove the USB device?
You can plug in the device at any time and remove it without any kind of unmounting procedure. However you should not rapidly remove the key after insertion or remove the USB device whilst data is being transferred. You can tell that the device is transferring data because LS9 will indicate ACCESS in the top left corner and the device led will flash rapidly.
How big are LS9 data files? How many megabytes do I need to have free in a USB storage device?
User Key files (.L9U) are only about 30KB. An "all data" file (.L9A) with many scenes stored will be around 5 or 6MB. So, even a very small USB storage device like 32MB could store all the data for several shows. However, be careful when, for example, performing recording on USB memory for many hours that could run out of free space.
What is the usable USB memory stick capacity?
Previously, there was a limitation that the memory capacity of USB memory stick was 2GB or less, but with the availability of USB memory stick in mind, YAMAHA tested the proper operation of some USB memory sticks whose capacity is "16GB" or less. ( This does not guarantee all USB memory sticks' operation. ) at the date of July 22, 2009.
And when formatting a USB stick in the console, the stick 4GB or more is formatted as FAT32 and the stick 2GB or less as FAT16 from the LS9 firmware V1.10.
Can a single LS9 console manage the data of the overall cascade-linked system?
No. Each console data needs to be managed by each LS9.
What is Administration mode?
LS9 can be set up to prevent access to certain features such as output or effects routing or even master fader level. In administrator mode all features can be accessed, passwords set and USB user keys created.
What is Guest mode?
As default the guest mode is the same as the administrator mode, but the administrator can lock out certain features from the guest and the guest can have their own preferences selected from the USER SETUP menu. By applying a password to the administrator mode the guest is prevented from unlocking the restricted features. Typically the guest would be restricted from all internal re-patching, bus configurations, and access to the outport setup pages.
What is a user authentication key?
User authentication key is a user settings file required when a user logs in.
User settings include user name, range of functionality operable, information on User Defined Key, Preferences, etc.
Is it possible to unlock the console if I lose my USB key?
LS9 is always unlocked by selecting "Administrator" mode and no USB key is necessary. If the administrator forgets the password the console must be initialized. This process involves powering down LS9 and restarting with special key presses, obviously audio will be interrupted and all stored data will be lost.
Can litlight lamps be used? What are the lamp specifications?
2-volt, 5-watt, 4Pin lamps can be used (LS9-32 only).
*LA1L can be used for the Yamaha products.
Some of the knobs turn in quite big steps, how do I get to the values in-between?
By pushing the encoder in and turning at the same time you can access a finer resolution for some parameters.
How many space is required to rack-mount the LS9-16?
Approximately 14U space is required.
I want to use my LS9 on other countries. Can LS9's power supply adjust to the local voltage?
Yes. Since LS9 supports universal power supply 100-240V, you can use your LS9 by preparing a power plug suitable to the local power supply.
LS9 cannot be online with the Editor. What should I check?
Check the following points:
- Has the latest DME Network Driver been installed on your computer?
- On the DME Network Driver settings screen of the control panel, IP address and MAC address of the LS9 console are set correctly?
- On the firewall settings screen of your computer, has the DME Network Driver been excluded from the blocked objects?
- Are IP address and subnet mask of your computer set correctly?
- On the MIDI settings of the Studio Manager, is the communication port selected correctly?
- Are LS9 console, network switch, and computer running LS9 Editor correctly connected by Ethernet cables?
When connecting the LS9 and PC directly, CAT5e crossover cable may be required.
- Also please refer to the "LS9 Quick Start Guide" in the Yamaha Proaudio website.
Can I control LS9 via more than one computer to perform remote operations simultaneously?
No, simultaneous operation from multiple computers is not possible. Only a single LS9 can be controlled from a single computer (LS9 Editor).
What kind of equipments are need to use StageMix?
The only necessaries are iPad or iPad2, and a wireless access point.
While you can use a wireless router instead of using an access, StageMix does not actually require router functions. If you use a wireless router, it is recommended to disable router functions by setting to "Bridge Mode", so that you can skip the router configuration and avoid the possible troubles.
"Connection Error" popup appears on my iPad and it does not connect to LS9. What should be checked?
Check the following points:
- (When you are using a wireless router) : Has the LS9 been connected to LAN port of the wireless router correctly? If the LS9 is connected to router's WAN (Internet) port wrongly, iPad cannot communicate with the LS9.
- (When you are using a wireless router) : Have you set the router to "Bridge Mode"? It is recommended to disable router functions by setting to "Bridge Mode" in order to skip the router configuration and avoid the possible troubles.
- Is the iPad connected to the intended wireless access point?
- Have you assigned appropriate IP addresses to the LS9 and iPad?
- Have you filled the correct IP address and MAC address of the target LS9 at the StageMix ADD Mixer popup?
Please refer to "StageMixe User Guide" for detail about the connection.
After the connection between StageMix and LS9 is established, it's occasionally lost. What should be checked?
Check the following points:
- Is Wi-Fi signal strong enough? Please confirm the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar of the iPad. If the iPad is far from the wireless access point or if there are some interfering barriers inbetween, it may be required to install some wireless LAN extenders.
- Are there any other wireless access points within a short distance? If those access points are using the same or nearby wireless channels, they may possibly interfere each other. Especially in 2.4GHz band, the frequency range for each channel is very close, so it is recommended to configure the wireless access point and use appropriate wireless channels. Usually, choosing channel 1, 6 or 11 can avoid interference. Furthermore, it is recommended to use Wi-Fi checker/scanner to monitor the surrounding situation of radio waves.
- Are there any microwave oven or Bluetooth device being used nearby? The 2.4GHz radio waves that those devices are emitting may interfere the radio signals for wireless LAN.
From radio interference point of view, therefore, wireless access points supporting 5GHz(*) band have advantages.
Meanwhile, when going through barriers, more radio intensity is lost with 5GHz compared to that of 2.4GHz. Therefore it is required to select the appropriate band, considering the environment and purpose.
*Please note that 5GHz band may not be allowed to use under certain conditions, depending on the radio laws.
- It is reported that the connection between StageMix on iOS5 and M7CL can be unstable and occasionally disconnected. As for the countermeasure, please refer to the following page.
Can I use StageMix and StudioManager simultaneously?
No. Only either of them can be connected to single LS9 unit.
How can I determine which IP address to be assigned to LS9 and iPad?
It is necessary to consult with your network administrator when determining IP addresses of LS9 and iPad , so that it conforms to the network policy. If there is no administer, please assign the address considering the following points.
- Assign the address which never overlaps with those of other PCs, DMEs or Mixers connected to the same network.
- If a DHCP server is running in the LAN, assign to LS9 the address that is not delivered automatically by the DHCP server.
- Please match the network address part of IP address between the LS9 and the iPad. The network address corresponds to the first three digits when their subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0.
- When building a dedicated network for LS9 and StageMix that never connects to other networks, generally a private address such as "192.168.xxx.yyy" would be chosen.
Can the USB connector be used with devices other than USB memory?
The LS9's USB connector is for USB memory only, and cannot be used with other devices.
Does LS9 have external display output?
There is no VGA or monitor display output but many features can be displayed on a computer running the Studio Manager software.
I want to know how to do fader calibration.
Power on the console while pressing the SCENE MEMORY [STORE] key on the console panel. Move the cursor to the "FADER CALIBRATION" button in the MODE SELECT field located on the right side of the startup menu screen, and press Enter key. For more details, please refer to the LS9 Owner's Manual.
How do I upgrade the firmware on the LS9?
The firmware update procedure for LS9 is as follows:
- 1. Make sure to backup your console data to a USB memory stick, etc. before starting the update.
- 2. Download the latest firmware from the Yamaha proaudio website.
- 3. Extract the downloaded file and save it to a USB memory stick.
- 4. Connect the USB memory stick to the USB port of the console, and then power on the console to start the firmware update.
How do I initialize the internal memory of the console?
Initializing the LS9's internal memory is required if you want the internal memory of the console to be returned to its factory-set condition, or if you have forgotten the password. To initialize the internal memory of the console, power on the console while pressing the SCENE MEMORY [STORE] key.
Are there any handy shortcut functions?
Controlling LS9 with a combination of multiple buttons and knobs enables you quick access to the following functions.
- 8-module Virtual Rack display: RACK [1-4] + [5-8] keys.
- Flat EQ response in band groups: [Q] + [GAIN] keys.
- EQ all flat: EQ [HI] + [LOW] keys.
- Activate SENDS ON FADER mode: Press MIX select key twice.
- Display contrast adjustment: [HOME] key + jog dial.
- Display tab selection: Long press to reverse direction.
For details, please refer to the "LS9_Short Cuts & Tips List".